Today, married couples face a few issues when it comes to raising children. A mother might face a lot of issues with her body which may prevent the couple from having children. Surrogacy comes as something of a boon for them. Surrogacy is the process of using a third person to carry a couple’s child if the original mother is unable to do so due to some reason or the other. But for this surrogate mothers are a basic need. People generally are not aware that how to become surrogate mother and what is the procedure actually attached to it?
Surrogacy is mostly considered as a safest option for people who want to have babies. There are cases when the original mother faces health problems that may get elevated during the time of pregnancy and/or childbirth or are physically unable to do so. Sometimes even male problems like poor sperm count or quality can affect pregnancy. Surrogacy allows couples to have children who are not in any danger of health issues.
How to become a surrogate mother?
Becoming a surrogate is not a decision that is made when one has not done a good self evaluation. It is a decision that needs not be taken in a hurry. It is a decision that you will keep remembering it for the rest of your life, or as long as you see the person you will give birth to.
When you are a surrogate mum, you must realize that there are things that will be going round your mind. You will have to know that you do not only have a contract that lasts for a few months.
You have got to know that you are in for a life issue. That needs to be handled with extreme care. You must know the procedure to be a surrogate mother and must make up your mind for the assignment.
It is necessary to answer the following questions before signing up to be a surrogate:
1. Where am I carrying a child of another couple? Is it money, fame, concern, hobby?
2. Am I psychologically prepared to know that it will never be my baby?
3. Do I feel obliged to do it?
4. Do I love the exercise?
5. Will I fulfill the requirements of the contract?
6. Have I involved others in the decision?
7. Do I know what I am getting to?
After getting answers to the above questions, you can now go ahead being pretty sure that you are quite aware of what you are doing. You will therefore need to go to the market to sell yourself as a surrogate. But along with this there are several issues associated with it. Lots of problems are there which a surrogate mother has to face while carrying out this procedure.
The various opinions and views on the surrogate motherhood are very numerous just like those regarding abortion are. Every person has personal ideas and views of the ethical and social problems that are connected to the surrogate motherhood.
Some of the most important questions about these issues are discussed below:
• Not everybody is convinced that it is moral to rent your body. Some would suggest that renting your body in order to have a baby is the same thing with renting the body for sex. You receive money from somebody that uses your body. On the other hand, the pro surrogates might state that this is an incorrect comparison, because prostitution is dirty and having a baby in order to help a woman who can’t is a truly pure thing.
• Another issue is what a mother says to a child about his or her birth. Some people state that being born from a woman distinct to the mother can dazzle a child and it may cause emotional problems as an adult. The pro surrogates state that there are numerous stories of children that were carried nine months by surrogate mothers who are doing just fine. It is a simple thing to explain to the child. The parents couldn’t have children so they took every fraction of the child from the natural parents and put it in a stranger’s belly to be born.
• The surrogate mother may sometimes refuse to give the child to the natural parents. Previous to the gestational surrogating, artificial insemination of sperm was the only way the surrogate mother was inseminated. In some of the cases, the surrogate mother developed a strong attachment to the baby refused to give it up on birth. In some of these situations, the surrogate mothers won the case because they were the biological mothers. The critics of surrogate motherhood state it’s a hard task for a woman to go through the pregnancy and then have the heart broken when the child is taken away from her. The pro surrogates state on the other hand that a woman who needs to accept and understand this beforehand enjoying the blessing of pregnancy.
• The society has various thoughts about the surrogate mothers. A woman that is having someone else’s baby makes some people be cautious. Some of them think it is not the right thing to do. Everyone’s opinion should be respected, but a surrogate mother does not have to be condemned by society.
• When the commissioning couples visit other countries to realize their dreams of parenthood by having a biological baby, they need to fight a long legal battle by crossing the language and cultural barrier to get their baby. Even if everything goes well with the commissioning couples, they need to stay at least two to three months to complete the required formalities after the birth of a new-born.
While the intended couples face all these difficulties, surrogate mothers have another set of problems. The things with the surrogate mothers are even worse and unethical. If the substitutes are selected from rural background, the middlemen exploit them constantly. Sometimes, these ladies even don’t get complete compensation paid by the intended parents.
ARTBaby ( surrogacycentregeorgia.com ) is renowned centre for carrying out surrogacy process, where you can realize your dreams of parenthood without any legal and ethical difficulties. In conclusion, we can say that, if couple desires to have their own biological child, they need to the know how to become a surrogate mother in Georgia, they need to contact the best agency where they will be guided legally and ethically, where the agencies conduct psychological screening and legal counseling for surrogate mothers.
Ravi Sharma is the director at ARTbaby Global (ARThealthcare). And a successful pharmacist and a marketer. He loves to write about IVF, Surrogacy and other ART (assisted reproductive technology) news, issues, and updates. He is a Pharmacy graduate and M.B.A (marketing).